BMX rider Liam Phillips believes he can still win an Olympic medal at London 2012 despite breaking his collarbone at last month's World Championships.

Phillips, 23, was officially named to Team GB last week despite major surgery after the crash three weeks ago.

"There are seven weeks until the first day of the competition, I should have quite a lot of time," said Phillips.

"I should be in fine form. I put myself in the bracket of five or six riders looking to go there and medal."

Phillips on his broken collarbone

"It's quite strange - it's not like any injury I've had in the past. I've had it plated and the collarbone feels normal. You go to pick up your bag of shopping and then remember your collarbone is still broken, so you have to be careful doing general day-to-day things. But it's allowed me to continue my training as planned, sleep well and doing everything that's expected this close to an Olympic Games."

Somerset's Phillips sustained the second collarbone break of his career on day two of the World Championships in Birmingham, having won time trial silver the previous night.

"For the first 15 minutes or so after I crashed, I was keeping my fingers crossed that it was just a broken collarbone - which does sound rather strange now," he told BBC Sport.

"But I understand that a collarbone can be healed. I had surgery and it was plated, which means I can get back to training almost immediately.

"I've been focusing on the London Olympics for a very long time. An injury 10 weeks out isn't ideal, but I've done so much work over the last few years that I'm not going to let an injury ruin it."

Phillips is currently ranked 48th in the world having spent most of 2011 inside the Manchester velodrome rather than on the BMX circuit.

He made the switch to track cycling in part because it eliminated many of the injury risks, but returned to BMX later that year.

"I do feel cursed [with injuries] but I race BMX bikes. I'm not going to look for any pity from anybody else," he said.

"Training with the track team was fantastic, spending seven months with some of the best riders in the world, but I missed the BMX.

"I overlooked the buzz I get from riding my bike each day and I soon learnt I was going to miss it more than I could ever have imagined."

Having made his comeback, Phillips looked to be in excellent shape at the World Championships inside Birmingham's National Indoor Arena at the end of May, but the crash wiped out his chances of a second medal - and of sampling the home atmosphere.

"That was the frustrating thing, it was a massive race in the UK and that's not something we get to experience very often," he said.

"It was surreal, it was fantastic to be there and have the crowd on your side. I'm looking forward to experiencing that again in London, seeing as I didn't get to experience too much at the World Championships."