By Boris Becker

|


The three-time champion on his favourite moments from the All England Club - including what is regarded as the tournament's finest final, plus the transformation of the one the sport's greatest stars

1976 ENTER THE TENNIS ROCK STAR

Bjrn Borg's physical conditioning and his nerve on court earned him the nickname Ice Borg, but what made him so special was that he was more than just a tennis player

Bjrn Borg's physical conditioning and his nerve on court earned him the nickname Ice Borg, but what made him so special was that he was more than just a tennis player

In 1976, I watched on TV as the 20-year-old Swede Bjrn Borg toppled Ilie Nastase, ten years his senior, in straight sets. Borg went on to win the Wimbledon men’s singles title a record-setting five times in a row. His physical conditioning and his nerve on court earned him the nickname Ice Borg, but what made him so special was that he was more than just a tennis player. With his rock-star looks and long blond hair, he was the first real tennis superstar.


1980 GREATEST EVER MATCH

The clash between Bjrn Borg and John McEnroe was a nail-biting five-set match with an epic 34-point tie-break in the fourth set, with Borg winning it 8-6 in the final set

The clash between Bjrn Borg and John McEnroe was a nail-biting five-set match with an epic 34-point tie-break in the fourth set, with Borg winning it 8-6 in the final set

The clash between Borg and John McEnroe is regarded as the best Wimbledon final ever. I was only 13 at the time, living in West Germany, and I remember it vividly. It was a nail-biting five-set match with an epic 34-point tie-break in the fourth set, with Borg winning it 8-6 in the final set. There’s only been a roof over Wimbledon Centre Court for a few years now, so previously whenever there was a rain delay TV would show this epic final to keep viewers hooked.


1981 YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!

John McEnroe was a brash New Yorker who didn't care about history, rules or behaviour on court, and off-court too. Has he mellowed now? Absolutely not!

John McEnroe was a brash New Yorker who didn't care about history, rules or behaviour on court, and off-court too. Has he mellowed now? Absolutely not!

McEnroe first uttered his famous catchphrase at Wimbledon and it stuck with him for the rest of his career. He was a brash New Yorker who didn’t care about history, rules or behaviour on court, and off-court too. Has he mellowed now? Absolutely not! He’s still as fierce and crazy, and I say that as one of his good friends! Whenever we play together, I can’t stop laughing at him because he still wants to beat me!


1982 THE BAD-BOY FINAL

Going into the (1982) final, John McEnroe was the favourite to win but Jimmy Connors fended him off in five long sets. It was a great tennis story

Going into the (1982) final, John McEnroe was the favourite to win but Jimmy Connors fended him off in five long sets. It was a great tennis story

This was the all-American bad boy (Jimmy Connors) versus the new young bad boy (McEnroe). The original bad boy was Ilie Nastase and Jimmy was his best friend, so his bad behaviour rubbed off on him. Going into the final, McEnroe was the favourite to win but Connors fended him off in five long sets. It was a great tennis story because here was a guy playing against McEnroe, nine years his junior and being able to take him down a peg.


When I lifted the trophy (in 1985, pictured left) I realised my life had changed forever. In the final (in 1986), I faced the world number one... I thought this was a fitting match to show I belonged in the elite

1985 BOYHOOD DREAMS FULFILLED

I was 17 when I first won Wimbledon, making history as the youngest winner ever. Did I expect to win? Absolutely not, even though I came into the tournament having won at Queen’s as an unseeded player. When you are only 17, you don’t think that far ahead. I was just happy that in an early match I was put on Centre Court, something I’d dreamt about as a boy watching Borg. When I lifted the trophy I realised my life had changed forever.


1986 PROVING THE DOUBTERS WRONG

When you take everyone by surprise they say it was a fluke, so after winning Wimbledon in 1985 I faced a lot of negative comments. A year later, I wasn’t playing anywhere near the level of tennis I was when I first won. People were expecting me to fail. In the final, I faced the world number one, Ivan Lendl, who looked and acted like a James Bond baddie. I thought this was a fitting match to show I belonged in the elite.


1993 THE BEST PLAYER I EVER FACED

Fans and the media complained that Pete Sampras was too boring and he'd taken the fun out of the game, but of all the opponents I faced, I consider him the best

Fans and the media complained that Pete Sampras was too boring and he'd taken the fun out of the game, but of all the opponents I faced, I consider him the best

The Nineties were dominated by nice guy Pete Sampras. He heralded a new era in which players were generally better behaved. They didn’t bring their personality on to the court because they had too much to lose now from sponsorship deals. Fans and the media complained that Sampras was too boring and he’d taken the fun out of the game, but of all the opponents I faced, I consider him the best.


1999 AGASSI THROWS AWAY HIS WIG

The older Andre Agassi got, the shorter his hair became... I remember seeing him after a big match in 1999 where he came and threw his wig in a corner and defiantly shaved his remaining hair off

Andre Agassi was a loose cannon in his younger years; a lot of flash but little substance. But the older he got, the shorter his hair became. I remember seeing him after a big match in 1999 where he came and threw his wig in a corner and defiantly shaved his remaining hair off. That for me was the transformation of Andre Agassi. He became a much better, more focused player.


2001 ALL HAIL THE NEW KING

When the 19-year-old Roger Federer turfed out Pete Sampras in the fourth round of Wimbledon in 2001, it really signified a changing of the guard

When the 19-year-old Roger Federer turfed out Pete Sampras in the fourth round of Wimbledon in 2001, it really signified a changing of the guard

When the 19-year-old Federer turfed out Sampras in the fourth round of Wimbledon in 2001, it really signified a changing of the guard. The Swiss won Wimbledon five times in a row from 2003 and a record-setting 16 Grand Slam titles. He was ranked No 1 for a mind-blowing 237 weeks in a row from 2004 to 2008. It’s only been in the past few years with the arrival of Nadal and Djokovic that he’s been tested.


2010 WILL THEY EVER GIVE UP?

The first-round match between John Isner (left) and Nicolas Mahut (right) was the longest tennis match ever. Their 183-game final set, which started on the Monday and finished on Thursday, was excruciating to watch

The first-round match between John Isner (left) and Nicolas Mahut (right) was the longest tennis match ever. Their 183-game final set, which started on the Monday and finished on Thursday, was excruciating to watch

If you hadn’t heard of John Isner and Nicolas Mahut before their first-round match in 2010, then you certainly would have by the end of the longest tennis match ever. Their 183-game final set, which started on the Monday and finished on Thursday, was excruciating to watch. Isner was eventually victorious, winning 6-4, 3-6, 6-7, 7-6, 70-68 after 11 hours and five minutes. The match was the making of him and I wouldn’t be surprised if wins a Grand Slam.


Boris Becker picture byline: Getty Images for IWC Schaffhause

Boris supports Barclays Ball Kids, to find ball kids for the Barclays ATP World Tour at the O2. barclaysballkids.com