TESCO FREE DELIVERY

Monday 28 May 2012

Robins fans still smiling after Wembley heartache - This is Gloucestershire

Robins fans still smiling after Wembley heartache - This is Gloucestershire

HEARTBROKEN Robins' fans put on a brave face after their side's defeat in the League Two play-off final at Wembley.

Disappointed Cheltenham Town fans could be seen holding their heads in their hands as the team suffered a 2-0 defeat to Crewe Alexandra yesterday.

But despite their League One hopes being dashed, faithful fans remained thankful that they were part of the big day.

The 10,000 strong support created an electric atmosphere after making the 87-mile journey to the iconic stadium in west London.

A fleet of 57 coaches transported around 3,000 hopeful supporters from Cheltenham racecourse and they helped transform Wembley into a sea of ruby red and white.

Fans said it had been "a momentous occasion" and "a day full of great atmosphere" and were "happy to have been part of history".

Robins' fan John Cosh, 28, could be seen clutching the flag he has taken to about 1,000 away games.

He said: "My message to the team is 'heads up boys. You had a good game and we are still proud of you'."

Drew Shaw, 22, a network engineer from Cheltenham, also offered his support to the team.

He said: "I have supported Cheltenham all my life, I'm a massive fan. I went to Wembley with them in 1998 and I was proud to go again.

"The first half was promising and they seemed quite comfortable. Keep it up boys."

John Thompson, 23, said: "It was definitely worth it, we don't get many chances to come to Wembley. Crewe took their chances and we didn't, that is football."

For Andrea Williams from Cheltenham, it was first taste of live football.

She said: "I am so glad I came, it was obviously a disappointing result, but I enjoyed the whole experience." Her husband Steve said: "I don't think Crewe deserved to win. We played so well, they should be proud of getting to Wembley."

Dylan Jenkins from Bishop's Cleeve made special arrangements for his son Toby to watch the match, after realising the 13-year-old was due to be in France on a school exchange trip.

He booked a different ferry, leaving a day after Toby's classmates, and asked his mother Daphne to act as translator.

Toby, who was on his way to Portsmouth to catch the ferry last night, said: "It was well worth it, even though we didn't get the result we wanted.

"It was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see the Robins play at Wembley and I'm so grateful to dad for making all the arrangements so I could stay."

The match saw a reunion for two cousins who had not seen each other for three years.

Wendy Pidduck, 43, has remained a loyal Robins' fan even though she moved to Ramsgate in Kent as a child. She combined seeing her team playing at Wembley with meeting up with her cousin, Colin Griffiths, from Up Hatherley.

Wendy said: "There was an amazing atmosphere and I'd not seen Colin since my 40th birthday, so it was great to meet at Wembley."

Three generations of Cheltenham Town fans from the Coates family travelled to Wembley. Lifelong Robins fan Terry Coates, 73, started going to games at Whaddon Road aged 12. He was joined by son Ian, 48, and grandsons Nick, 22, and Jamie, 13.

Terry said: "I got tickets for Wembley immediately. It was a great feeling to be there.

"I go to every game as a season ticket holder. Now my grandson Jamie is a bigger supporter than I am. I hope the future generations of the family support the Robins."

Mel James, 69, who has been going to Whaddon Road since the 1950s, said: "There is nothing like lower division football. You get to know all the team."


Source: www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment